[PLUG] Internet data site with Samba and SSH

Benjamin Prew bprew at logiccloud.com
Sun May 18 17:20:02 UTC 2003

Hey,

I have been running a problem around in my head for a little while and I
was wondering if I could get some feedback from the list.

The Problem
-----------
I would like a way to access several remote files (resume, cover letter,
.vimrc, etc) in a transparent and very easy way.  Preferrably as a
seperate drive in windows or as a mount point in Linux.  I would like to
read,edit/update or add new files quickly and easily.  So far, when I
have needed to access these files I have been on broadband connections,
so throughput usually isn't a problem.

The Solution
------------
Use Samba over a port forwarded SSH connection.  Unfortunately, I'm not
sure how safe Samba on the Internet is, even over an SSH connection. I
was planning on using ssh keys, rather then a password, since from what
I understand this is more secure then passing the encrypted password.

I have thought about using FTP, but I would like to maintain a
persistent connection throughout an 8-hour day, and I would like to keep
all the files in one location, rather then download them, edit them, and
re-upload them.

I have thought about using CVS, but it isn't as natural as having a
mount point and requires extra software installs on most windows
machines.

The Questions
-------------
Is samba safe enough?  I know nothing is ever completely "safe", but
using ssh should be as secure as making an ssh connection to another
server, which I am willing to accept as "secure-enough".

I haven't done much ssh port forwarding before and I was wondering if I
could get an abstraction of this problem.  For example, would I be
connecting to port 137 on the remote machine, or would I use port 22?
I'm a little unclear on how port forwarding works.

Has anyone done anything similar to this before?  How did you approach
this problem?

My network

the Internet comes in as Comcast broadband, which goes through a router
running freesco.

Freesco allows me to forward ports from the internet to local machines,
so I will forward the required port to my 700mhz RH9 machine.

RH9 runs samba and openssh, and should handle all the connections.

Thanks

--
Ben Prew <bprew at logiccloud.com>
http://www.logiccloud.com