[PLUG] Internet data site with Samba and SSH

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Sun May 18 18:20:02 UTC 2003

> Hey,
>
> I have been running a problem around in my head for a little while and I
> was wondering if I could get some feedback from the list.
>
> The Problem
> -----------
> I would like a way to access several remote files (resume, cover letter,
> .vimrc, etc) in a transparent and very easy way.  Preferrably as a
> seperate drive in windows or as a mount point in Linux.  I would like to
> read,edit/update or add new files quickly and easily.  So far, when I
> have needed to access these files I have been on broadband connections,
> so throughput usually isn't a problem.

You may want to look into using webdav as a solution.  You can configure
Apache to be a webdav server and both windows and linux have webdav
clients that can connect to a webdav server.  I have a webdav on Apache
and from window clients you just create a "web folder" or "network place"
depending on version of windows.

you can then use the SSL https connetion in your apache to do the
encryption. The downside is that the webdav connection is not a persistant
connection.  It just send extended HTTP methods to put and get files from
the server.  Works will for me when I want to get and edit files on a
server.  This also gives all clients a way to access remote files.

Josh