[PLUG] UML users?

Phil Tomson ptkwt at aracnet.com
Mon May 19 12:46:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Mon, 19 May 2003, Phil Tomson wrote:
>
> > Perhaps, relative to changing a piece of hardware.  However, it's much
> > easier to change your design in a dynamically typed language than in a
> > statically typed one.  So let's say your change leads to needing to change
> > the type of an argument that shows up in a hundred or so function
> > declarations - not fun.  In a dynamically typed language there's no issue.
>
>   Exactly where a UML-enabled tool like Poseidon or Rational Rose comes in
> handy. Pull up the class diagram. Change the type of a variable (or the
> argument for a method) and the change is automagically made every place in
> the model. Of course, I'm not a professional designer of either hardware or
> software but it seems simple to me.

Interesting.  So this tends to bolster my argument that UML isn't as
neccessary for development in dynamically typed languages.

>   Tell you what, Phil. Stick with what makes you comfortable. You asked
> about UML because you knew nothing about it. If you want to trash it and
> fight it, I suggest that you contact the OMG and have it out with them. OK?

No, I'm not trying to trash it.  I'm trying to find out why people use it.

For me it seems like a step in the wrong direction, but if I can
understand why people choose to use it maybe I can understand why people
want to go that way and then offer them alternatives ;-)  I really do
think there might be better methodologies....

Phil