[PLUG] MS and SCO

Daggett, Steve Steve.Daggett at fiserv.com
Mon May 19 13:08:02 UTC 2003

> On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 12:16, David Pool wrote:
> > I didn't subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, so this is a
> second hand post.
> > Has anyone else spotted this? It's a bit worrisome.
>
> I saw it on /.; I didn't read carefully, but I got the impression they
> had licensed their IP (in the same way the Sun, IBM, HP et al do), not
> purchased it outright.  I'm guessing purchasing it outright would have
> been subject to vigorous anti-trust opposition, since some of
> Microsoft's main competition relies on their SysV licenses.

  But, it could also be seen as M$'s providing (i)moral support to SCO's IP lawsuit against IBM, Linux, and Open Source.

From: http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-1007528.html

  "Microsoft general counsel Brad Smith said acquiring the license from SCO "is representative of Microsoft's ongoing commitment to respecting intellectual property and the IT community's healthy exchange of IP through licensing. This helps to ensure IP compliance across Microsoft solutions and supports our efforts around existing products like services for Unix that further Unix interoperability." "

  It sounds like they are gently backing SCO's claim to owning all things Unix and Unix-Like.

Steve D...