[PLUG] DNS interest...

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue May 20 07:41:01 UTC 2003

On 19 May 2003, Michael C. Robinson wrote:

A very interesting topic and one I haven't quite got my brain wrapped
around ... yet so I don't feel I'm up to addressing this but ... I suggest
attending if you can Ed Sawicki's (alcpress.com) most excellant DNS Boot
Camp.  Last Saturday we got Ed come to Spokane and do his class.  Those
that had almost no clue came away with a much stronger understanding and
those that had a clue (or at least had been doing DNS for awhile) are now
implementing lots of new and interesting stuff.

And the short answer, if I understand your question correctly, is you
_can_ use one nameserver as an internal authority and as a cache
nameserver for external lookups.  I do this for my home network
(anderson.home) but since I set it up using Linuxconf and accepted the
defaults I can't provide the particulars as to how to do it.
   I also suggest looking at using djbdns (TinyDNS and dnscache) instead
of bind.  So far I have dnscache running on one nameserver (class was
Saturday and I didn't do computers Sunday - all on Monday while taking
calls and dealing with the normal Monday morning c**p) and ready to go on
several others.  TinyDNS will take a few more days since it will affect a
lot more of our operations (hundreds of domains) and is just different
enough that the transition won't be trivial.

Again I _strongly_ suggest Ed's class.

Best,
Rod