[PLUG] Canopus ADV-1394 under Linux

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Tue May 20 08:31:02 UTC 2003

On 20 May 2003, Alan wrote:

> I went and purchased a Canopus ADV-1394 video capture card.
>
> I can get Kino to capture video, but I am seeing noise/distortion on
> the row of bottom five pixels. I am also seeing a bit of color noise
> on the left hand side of the image.
>
> Anyone familiar with this card?  Have any idea what is wrong or does
> it always do that?

I follow the discussions on the linux1394-user mailing list, and all I
can say is that Linux firewire support is still pretty much hit and
miss. That said, it's a pretty low-traffic list, and Stefan Richter
and Ben Collins are usually very good about answering questions like
this.

What they will want to know is

* kernel version
* version of the various ieee1394 drivers (see dmesg)
* output of /proc/bus/ieee1394/devices

And any of the following that apply:

* libraw1394 version
* libavc1394 version
* libdv version

If you're using a stock distro kernel, they'll probably tell you to
grab the latest subversion sources (for 2.5 or 2.4, the branches are
separate) and try another compile.

If you've already done that, then it might be a case of sitting around
and waiting for the kernel-level ieee1394 to catch up with your
technology.

If it looks like the libdv stuff is part of the chain, you might try
pinging Buck Krasic (see the AUTHORS file in the libdv source
tarball). Buck's out here at OGI and is a decent guy.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>