[PLUG] Setting Up A Mail List

Petcher, Danielx J danielx.j.petcher at intel.com
Tue May 20 11:56:02 UTC 2003

Your privacy concerns are indeed legitimate and I do think Yahoo has changed
their privacy policy more than once. I subscribe to the BLUE (Beaverton
Linux Users Education) list via Topica.Com and I haven't gotten spammed yet.
Your mileage may vary.

Of course, if you're REALLY worried about privacy and SPAM, you can set-up a
bulletin board like vBulletin or phBB. The advantage here is that none of
the discussion goes over the SMTP-based Email protocol; it's all on your
server. The disadvantage is that all of the discussion and reading traffic
hits your server. Some of your user community will appreciate the privacy
benefit of not having to list a legitimate Internet Email address on every
message they post. Some of your user community may resent having to look
outside their Email box to see message traffic on your BBS.

-djp
http://folding.stanford.edu - the brain you save may be your own!