[PLUG] Cron notification

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue May 20 18:21:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Michael Montagne wrote:

> I just added a cron job that writes a file every half hour.  Each time
> it runs I get an email.  How do I make that stop?  I have another one
> running that doesn't send an email.

By default all output is mailed to root.  If your process doesn't create
output you may or may not get (depending on the quality of burnt offerings
you've made or even the distribution/version of Linux you're running) an
(semi-)empty message.  To insure you don't get anything place > /dev/null
after the command(s) you're running.  You'll still get errors in the mail
but if you've been a good scripter these will be minimal.

EXAMPLE:

	chkspam.pl > /dev/null

Rod