[PLUG] ssh and root

Michael Montagne montagne at boora.com
Thu May 22 10:02:02 UTC 2003

>On about 22/05/03, Paul Heinlein was heard to proclaim:

> On Thu, 22 May 2003, Michael Montagne wrote:
>
> > This is a tough one for me to grasp.  I've already given up trying
> > to get X to run over ssh but now I can't use vim as root, only as
> > me.  I get this message:
> >
> > X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> > X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
> > shutdown).
>
> Can you run through the entire process for us? E.g.,
>
> 1. Login into client under username whatever
> 2. Run startx
> 3. Open xterm
> 4. Run su (the exact invocation would be helpful)
> 5. ssh to server
> 6. try to run vim
>
> The whole X authentication cookie scheme can be difficult, and how you
> get to root matters.
>
> Also, could you post the results of
>
>   grep -E 'X|Root' /etc/ssh/*config
>
> when run on both the server and the client?
>
> --Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>

Not sure what has changed.  I've been successful at this many time in
the past.

My method:
 1. Login into client under username whatever
 2. Run startx
 3. Open xterm
 4. ssh to server
 5. Run su (the exact invocation would be helpful)
 6. try to run vim

grep -E 'X|Root' /etc/ssh/*config From the remote system:
/etc/ssh/ssh_config:   ForwardX11 no
/etc/ssh/sshd_config:PermitRootLogin no
/etc/ssh/sshd_config:X11Forwarding yes
/etc/ssh/sshd_config:X11DisplayOffset 10

grep -E 'X|Root' /etc/ssh/*config From the local system:
/etc/ssh/ssh_config:   ForwardX11 yes
/etc/ssh/sshd_config:# This sshd was compiled with PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
/etc/ssh/sshd_config:PermitRootLogin yes
/etc/ssh/sshd_config:#ForwardX11 yes

--
  Michael Montagne  http://www.themontagnes.com  503.226.1575