[PLUG] The latest on SCO vs. reality

Erik edasher at javelin.net
Fri May 23 18:29:02 UTC 2003

Normally I'd agree with the idea that the big money will win the case
regardless of the facts, or as Steve says "the ridiculous against
reality is an even match."

This situation has important differences:
1. SCO (and perhaps Micro$oft) are suing IBM.  Even if Microsoft
acquires SCO and sues IBM directly, IBM still has the resources it needs
to defend its self.
2. IBM will vigorously defend its self, and the GPL to whatever extent
serves IBM's purposes.  IBM is deeply involved with the GPL and with
Linux, yes?
3. The government isn't directly involved in this case.  In the Milken,
Lay, Skilling and the M$ antitrust case, the government was the
plaintiff (I'm guessing that somehow Milken, Lay and Skilling have so
far dodged other lawsuits).

These differences mean that we have more reasons than usual to be
optimistic.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best possible outcome would be.
I'm pretty sure I don't want Microsoft purchasing SCO outright.  I
believe the Linux community would be better served if IBM acquired SCO,
but only after a successful counter suit.  Someone needs to make an
example of Blake Stowell, Chris Sontag, Darl McBride and the rest of
SCO's officers.  Otherwise this kind of thing will continue.

-EcD.