[PLUG] Xpixmap and gtk2...

Michael C. Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Sun May 25 00:39:02 UTC 2003

Are these connected?  I'm curious as I want to try some simple animation
in a portion of a window.  I know xscavenger is a real nice example of
using a couple of images of a man to create the illusion of movement
when those images are displayed one after another much the way a
cartoonist would would do with paper and pencil at first.  Apparently
with gimp it's possible to create tiles and then using these tiles build
maps.  I know Warcraft II has a map editor that is tile based and older
games, battletech I for example, are this way also.

For starters I'd be interested in an area of a Window where I can have a
blue tile move around a map of green tiles without leaving a trail.
Achieving that I can upgrade the blue tile to a series of images run one
after another to achieve animation.  If this can be accomplished within
a gtk window I can use the gtk buttons which seem to be fairly easy to
learn how to use for quit and other things.

I take it since gtk is used in a C program that a program I have written
that is very similar to hangman could be graphically enhanced using it.

How standard is gtk+-2.0?  Is this the most popular widget set or are
there other common choices?

Course games aren't the only use of this graphical programming :=)

    --  Michael C. Robinson