[PLUG] Mandrake 9.1 Virtual server problem

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Mon May 26 09:10:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 03:39, James wrote:
> I know this isn't the Apache mail list, but in fact, I can't find an
> Apache mail list.. if someone knows of a good one, please direct me to it.
>
> To start off, it might be best to point out the fact that I have a web
> server running Mandrake 7.1 without any problems.. including virtual
> domain serving.  I'm not sure why I am having problems with Mandrake 9.1
> and virtual servers, but I am.
>
> When I connect Mandrake 9.1 to the Internet, I can access the Apache
> server through any other computer connected to the Internet by using the
> IP address, but when I try to access a virtual server on Mandrake 9.1 via
> name (for example, http://www.powwowdance.com), the web browser cannot
> find any such server.
>
> Question #1:
> How long should I wait before the virtual server (assuming it is set up
> correctly) is accessible to everyone on the Internet?  I've waited at
> least 2 hours to see if it has propagated, but it still doesn't connect.

These are more DNS questions than apache questions.  The apache server
becomes aware of any and all changes as soon as you restart the server,
and it successfully loads the new configuration.  No waiting.  Changes
to DNS are the ones that take time to propagate.

> Question #2:
> I have a server running Mandrake 7.1 that works just fine.  Its virtual
> servers all work well, and its ip address is 63.224.195.57 with a virtual
> web server name set at www.vivid-eye.com.  I am installing Mandrake 9.1 on
> a completely different  computer, which I can also connect to the Internet
> at the same time.  If I number the Mandrake 9.1 server to 63.224.195.56 in
> order to keep the 9.1 server online at the same time as the 7.1 server,
> will giving the 9.1 server the vivid-eye.com name conflict with the
> current 7.1 server name?  I'd like to run the new 9.1 server all the time
> to see if it's just a propagation problem, but I don't want it to conflict
> with the 7.1 server.  What can I do?

This won't test the "propagation" problem, it will just create on.  If
you change the ip address in your DNS zone, then it will take time to
propagate, if both servers are up and running, and serving out the same
content, then your clients will never know the difference.  However, if
one of your servers is broken, then your clients will be migrated to a
broken server and will notice the change.

> Question #3:
> This is my current setup for the new 9.1 server, does it look correct?  If
> it does look correct, then I don't know why I can't access the new 9.1
> server (P.S. http://www.powwowdance.com will probably work fine if you
> check it now, because I will have connected the working server by the time
> you read this):

No, you need to specify a unique server name for each virtual host.  You
have only specified your domain name for the server name of each virtual
host, not a unique server name.

> I am using the latest Apache version, whichever one was shipped with
> Mandrake 9.1

> httpd2.conf:
>
> <VirtualHost 63.224.195.57>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/powwowdance
> ServerName powwowdance.com
            ^^^^
Here is where you need to have a machine name (like www.powwowdance.com
or dance.powwowdance.com or pow.powwowdance.com).

> </VirtualHost>
>
> vhosts:
>
> <VirtualHost 63.224.195.57>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/powwowdance
> ServerName powwowdance.com

I don't understand why you want two virtual hosts pointing to the same
directory with the same virtual host name.  Something needs to be unique
about this entry to make it useful.
> </VirtualHost>
>
> named.conf:
>
> zone "powwowdance.com" {
>         type master;
>         file "/var/named/pz/powwowdance.com";
> };

> var/named/pz/powwowdance.com:
>

> @       IN      SOA     powwowdance.com. james.vivid-eye.com. (
>                         200305231       ; Serial
>                         1H              ; Refresh
>                         1H              ; Retry
>                         1W              ; expire
>                         1H)             ; Minimum
> ;
>         NS              ns              ;Inet Address of name server
> ;
> localhost       A       127.0.0.1
>

> ns              A       63.224.195.57
> ns2             IN A    63.224.195.60
>

> @       IN      A       63.224.195.57
>

> www     CNAME   ns
>
> Does the above look ok?  And if so, why can't I access that
> virtual domain from the Internet?

These should be ok, from what I've read, you might want to change the
www entry from CNAME to an A record (with the ip specified).

Good Luck,

Derek Loree