[PLUG] Requium for HB 2802

Steven A. Adams stevea at nwtechops.com
Mon May 26 11:56:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 04:17, Russell Evans wrote:
> "The state has 54,700 computers, all but 1,800 of which run Windows and require
> expensive licenses, upgrades and virus controls."
>
> "Transportation could eliminate one-third of the 250 information technicians
> who baby-sit its all-Windows desktop operation. That represents a savings of $4
> million to $5 million at ODOT alone."

In this scenario the workforce numbers would not change, the platform
they work with would. I think everyone here knows that supporting
winblows and linux desktops is going to be roughly the same support
paradigm, same SLA and same delivery. Almost all of the individuals that
I've worked with at ODOT are very capable of learning a new OS ( this is
not to say they would be happy about it ) and at the end of the day a
wholesale replacement of all MS would likely require more staff.
Besides, if your factoring in the savings of pink-slipping a portion of
the ODOT tech staff you should also factor in training for all of the
users - there goes the 4 million in savings!

> How much of those 54,700 computer do you think ODOT controls? 10%, 5470
> computers? 83 tech workers out of work at ODOT and if 10%, then we're talking
> about eliminating ~830 tech positions in Oregon. At 5%, 2735 computers, 1660
> tech positions. At 2.5% 1368 computers, 3320 tech positions.  At 1%, 547
> computers, 8300 tech positions.

Just what Oregon needs, more tech layoffs.

> What's a good ratio of computers to a tech position, 22/1, 11/1, 6/1, 2/1? I
> think maybe 6/1 seems about average for MS products, so 2.5% and 3320 tech
> positions. Now think about all those business moving to Linux.

Lets see. Many moons ago I was charged with about 150 winblows boxes, a
dozen or so Novell servers and associated infrastructure gear. This held
true for a number of years through 3 corporations. Just as an FYI; DMV
has a team of 5 to support well over 1000 installed machines.

Once again, we appear to be tripping over dollars to pick up dimes.