[PLUG] Requium for HB 2802

Steven A. Adams stevea at nwtechops.com
Mon May 26 14:15:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 05:40, Russell Evans wrote:
> OK, since you seem to know about ODOT, how many computers do those 250 people
> support? I didn't make up the two top quotes they were in the article, I was
> just playing with numbers. 83 positions at $4-5 million saved; comes out to
> $48192-60,240 a year jobs. Does that seem real to you?

It really doesn't seem realistic. You and I both know that the work load
that these positions currently take on will not disappear magically
because we have moved to another OS platform or a common transport and
open data storage methods. Eliminating positions only puts the state
into a mode of not doing the work ( unacceptable ) or contracting it out
at a higher rate ( current budget conditions prohibit this ). Ah yes,
there is one more minor issue that your missing here, these positions
are union members and not likely to go anywhere.

None of this changes the fact that ODOT is already running leaner than
any IT shop that I've worked with in my 20 year career. To think that by
terminating any number of tech folks is going to save money is really
not approaching the issue intelligently.