[PLUG] Requium for HB 2802

david pool dpool at hevanet.com
Mon May 26 14:22:01 UTC 2003

Steven A. Adams wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 13:38, david pool wrote:
>
>>IT needs don't stop at the OS, they begin there. The idea is to shift
>>manpower from maintaining a platform to higher level tasks like working
>>with clients' information. There will still be plenty of information to
>>be processed and analyzed, only now we'll do it on an open platform with
>>open standards.
>>

>This appears as though you feel that the platform doesn't need
>maintaining. Do you actually believe this or are you trying to advocate
>that platform support come from an external entity ( adding considerable
>cost and removing all accountability )?

I was accepting the argument that Linux maintenance consumes fewer
resources than Windows maintenance. My point was to shift those
additional resources. But, yes in some cases I believe it's good to
outsource IT. I don't buy the extra cost argument and as for
accoutability, we can always hire a local consultant who has a strong
reputation in the community for quality worksmanship. I'd wager he's
more accountable because his reputation is on the line.

david pool