[PLUG] Requium for HB 2802

Steven A. Adams stevea at nwtechops.com
Mon May 26 15:22:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 14:21, david pool wrote:
> I was accepting the argument that Linux maintenance consumes fewer
> resources than Windows maintenance. My point was to shift those
> additional resources. But, yes in some cases I believe it's good to
> outsource IT. I don't buy the extra cost argument and as for
> accoutability, we can always hire a local consultant who has a strong
> reputation in the community for quality worksmanship. I'd wager he's
> more accountable because his reputation is on the line.

I firmly believe that Linux consumes far less platform resources but
when looking at Linux at the desktop I think that it's a wash with
windows - in some cases it will require more human resources. In fact,
at least for the short term, the resources to do the initial migration
will be far greater due to the training requirements of users and
administrators. The biggest selling factor that I see is the simple
dollars saved in license fees. These savings can be easily consumed when
the cost of contractors are added to the migration and I do see that as
being a budget road block.

I would love to believe that a contractor would be more accountable due
to reputation issues that you cite above but I've seen too many times
where the contractor just points a finger and goes back to work. In all
cases hiring a contractor to augment existing staff is cheaper than
adding head count to staff. Short term contractors are a budget blessing
but the nature of this thread is staff elimination and you can't
contract perm staff and expect that to save money.

By the way, this has been stimulating conversation but retooling ODOT IT
is not going to help the states budget woes. ODOT and it's agencies are
not funded by the general fund, they are funded by gasoline tax, license
and registration fees, federal highway funds and other sources.