[PLUG] Setting up pine for out-of-office auto replies

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Wed May 28 09:06:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Is there a way to configure pine for automatic responses when I'm
> out of town? I haven't found such information so I'd appreciate a
> pointer.

I don't think pine has an autoreponse type of filter.

Plus, I'm not convinced that having a vacation-ish feature in a mail
client is a good thing. You'd have to leave pine running while you're
out of town, making it easy to lose track of mailbox locks if you
check your mail remotely while you're away.

> Also, if it is possible, I'd want to configure it to respond to mail
> arriving in my inbox, not the mail list messages that are directed
> to their individual files.

If you rely on pine (as opposed to procmail or sieve) to filter
messages for you, then afaict you're out of luck.

If you use procmail for filtering, then you could pretty easily add a
pipe-to-vacation rule at the end of your .procmailrc.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>