[PLUG] Requium for HB 2802

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Wed May 28 09:15:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 05:53, Steven A. Adams wrote:

>  Besides, I'm not sure I like the idea of having the equivalent of
> Affirmative Action for Technology. Open-source will win the battle just
> fine on merit and cost when applications become mature. It's been around
> for years and the development continues; albeit at a slower pace thanks
> to the economy.

Since I used the term "affirmative action" with regard to HB 2802
here 3 weeks ago, I thought I should be the one to respond. You
say that Open Source will win the battle on its merit and cost.
This doesn't happen in most Microsoft shops. If it did, why would
there still be Microsoft shops? Why would companies, for example,
still be using IIS?

It doesn't matter that our Linux and xBSD servers have remarkable
uptimes, are resistant to attack, cost far less, etc. The decision
makers refuse to use it, opting instead for the market leader's
ill-designed products. Nothing seems to convince them that
alternatives are needed. Their computers are attacked time and time
again, year after year, and still they refuse to even consider
alternatives.

Why not affirmative action for technology? It's what we do when
society refuses to cure its ills.

You also said that Open Source will win when applications become
mature. You may want to reconsider this.

> Don't get me wrong, for those of you with motivations that are in the
> interest of promoting open-source, it's my opinion that your efforts are
> noble and greatly appreciated but just like a few lazy co-workers, those
> in the movement that are sleazily promoting their small minded personal
> agendas are dragging you down.

I assume you're referring to Ken Barber. If so, I think you're way
off base. Many of us have suffered because of the Microsoft monopoly
and at the hands of Dilbert managers who are clueless about
technology. Ken has his horror stories and I have mine. Ken has
said (though I forget in what forum) that he wants to be sure it
doesn't happen to others. I don't see this as sleaze or being
small-minded. I admire Ken for his efforts and committment.

--
Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com>
ALC