[PLUG] Action item: new Open source bill

Ken Barber pundit at teleport.com
Wed May 28 14:01:02 UTC 2003

Friends,

Sally at Rep. Barnhart's office says that it's time to "turn our
tigers loose on the Senate."

An amendment has been proposed to SB 589 to change it from it was
(an agricultural bill) into an open-source bill.  The language of
the amended SB 589 is identical to what the amended version of
HB2892 would have been had it lived.

The Chair of the committee hearing SB589 has consented to doing
this, but the Senators on that committee need to hear support for
the idea from their constituents before they're willing to vote
it out.  Those Senators are:

Rick Metsger, Chair SD 26 (D-Welches) sen.rickmetsger at state.or.us
Bruce Starr, vice-chair SD 15 (R-Hillsboro, Cornelius)
sen.brucestarr at state.or.us
Ryan Deckert, SD 14 (D-Beaverton) sen.ryandeckert at state.or.us
David Nelson, SD 29 (R-Pendleton) sen.davidnelson at state.or.us

We need support from at least three of these four to get the bill
out of committee.  All four have already heard from Phil Barnhart
and have a copy of the amendment, with several pieces of
background material, in hand.  They understand what the bill is
about and just need to hear from their constituents that there is
support for it in their districts.

Considering the piece that ran in last Sunday's Oregonian, this is
an excellent time to call or write to your State Senator about
amending and passing out SB 589.

Ken Barber
Author, HB 2892