[PLUG] Requium for HB 2802

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed May 28 18:35:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Steven" == Steven A Adams <stevea at nwtechops.com> writes:

Steven> I found his insinuations that I somehow had no idea how to
Steven> manage an enterprise Unix farm personally offensive and his
Steven> little rant about a co-worker walking a dog nothing more than
Steven> small minded FUD designed to damage and cause discontent. All
Steven> you had to do is live the same 3 years that I did in the
Steven> middle of dotcom and you would have seen the real meaning of
Steven> waste, those of you that saw this too - you have my deepest
Steven> sympathy. And yes Ed, anytime someone stoops to an SCO class
Steven> unsubstantiated FUD it deserves the sleaze award.

Maybe I missed something, but I read his "dog walking" story as
personal observation specifically countering your claim ("... the fact
that ODOT is already running leaner than any IT shop that I've worked
with in my 20 year career."), rather than attack.  Anyway, from my
reading, it was logically separate from the justification for the
bill.

Steven> I'll be the first one to admit that I may have been harsh on
Steven> Ken and I apologize to all of you that I may have offended in
Steven> being that way but even the friendliest of dogs will bite when
Steven> provoked. As far as the bill and what it appeared to be in the
Steven> beginning, I am certain that it was a lot of effort and I
Steven> have, and will, commend and respect anyone that feels strongly
Steven> enough about this technology to go to that distance, as long
Steven> as it's done with integrity. Unfortunately, that last comment
Steven> about one bad experience at the state which led him to author
Steven> the bill makes me feel like supporting 2892 is supporting
Steven> someones personal vendetta.

Again, I read the reason for the bill as the twice weekly trips to
Medford and Coquille to fix silly Windows box problems, not the dog
walking episode.

At a macro level, I see no rational legitimate public-interest
justification for opposing this bill as amended.  One argument against
it here seems to be that it won't save any money immediately.  Maybe
not.  But the sooner people start converting _the sooner_ the money
can be saved.  Either in licensing costs or people costs, or more
likely both.  In "net present value" terms for the future cash flow,
that is still a win that gets smaller the longer it is delayed.  That
argues for starting now.  Even if no one gets laid off, there is an
opportunity cost to having IT staff driving to Coquille twice a week,
when they could be working on more productive problems and returning
more public-interest value for the money spent.  And lastly, on the
savings issue, even if there is none in dollar terms, there is the
matter of where the dollars that _are_ spent land: in the wallets of
your neighbor Oregon employees or in the overflowing bank accounts of
Redmond WA and similar locations.

--
Russell Senior          ``Rome is strangling my people and my country... the
seniorr at aracnet.com       whole earth.  But not forever!  I tell you, the day