[PLUG] which distro for compaq notebook...or am I screwed?

Matt Chorman matt at legalizefreedom.org
Wed May 28 19:56:01 UTC 2003

I have a P133 with 32M ram laptop (an old Micron Millenia Transport) running
gentoo - I was lucky enough to have a cluster to compile with this last time,
but the first time I compiled XFree it took close to 30 hours. It was not
necessary that I use it during this time, so I did not need it and the
compile time was not a problem for me.. My windowmanager on this is
WindowMaker - it is surprisingly quick on this heavy, slow, old (but
reliable) beast. Speaking of which, anyone have a battery for this model they
would want to sell? ;-)

One thing that can save you a lot of time with an older system is to use a
"stage3" install - this basically means you don't bootstrap your system (and
you use precompiled glibc and gcc for your platform - they are generally
optimized for each generation of processor.)

There are also precompiled packages available for KDE, Xfree, Gnome,
OpenOffice.org, etc.. (All the biggies..)