[PLUG] OT: SDRAM scam?

Steven Raymond stever at woo-hoo.com
Thu May 29 08:39:02 UTC 2003

> Is this even possible:
> Install a 256MB PC100 SDRAM module on a motherboard that supports
> 256MB PC100 SDRAM modules, and have it only detect 128MB?

YES!

I just recently went to upgrade the memory in my 440BX-chipset
motherboard.  I didn't think it was that old, but then realized I bought
it in 1998!  I had a single 128MB stick which clearly is not enough
nowadays.  I went down to ENU and bought a 256MB PC133 stick and installed
it.  It only said I had 256MB total!  Removing the original said it was
back at 128!  Tried new stick in a VIA chipset motherboard and sure
enough, it read 256MB.
I consulted ENU and he said it was not a single- vs. double-sided issue,
but what he called "high-density" vs "low-density".  Lucky for me they had
what I needed, a 256MB low-density stick (which BTW was double-sided).
Now the BX board has 384MB of memory, the new 256 and original 128.

See if they will exhchange it for low-density memory, or get a refund
altogether and buy from ENU.  On an unrelated note, this situation is why
I almost always buy locally.  It's much easier to do returns I find and
after shipping it isn't worth saving the few bucks only to wait longer to
receive it.

Regards