[PLUG] Realplayer8

Petcher, Danielx J danielx.j.petcher at intel.com
Thu May 29 08:51:02 UTC 2003

I could swear I saw this matter discussed a week or three ago on the PLUG
list. It has something to do with the changes in architecture that make it
RH9 instead of RH8.1

I'm sorry I don't remember all the technical details. I think it was
something about memory allocation or interrupt handling. RealPlayer8 can't
handle RH9's scheme, but I think there's a kernel compilation option that
will tell your kernel to work in a RP-compatible manner.

Too bad RealNetworks won't provide you the Sourcecode for their player. You
could recompile it instead and enjoy both their fine media player and the
more modern kernel design. You might also check with Real to see if they
have a new binary posted for RH9 users.

Again, I apologize for my vagueness; I've been messing-around with Redmond's
finest software products too much this week.

-djp
http://folding.stanford.edu - the brain you save may be your own!