[PLUG] [OT] Who is John Galt?

david pool dpool at hevanet.com
Thu May 29 12:18:01 UTC 2003

Ken Barber wrote:

>This is the very kind of world that Ayn Rand warned against half a
>century ago in her novels "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged"
>and now it's coming to pass in the high-tech sector.

In Atlas Shrugged, the parasitic leech was government attaching itself
to business to stiffle innovation. OSS is still innovating and there are
lots of businesses (Merrill Lynch, Amazon, Dreamworks etc.) who are
using OSS to compete. It's not just about marketing, Businesses will
wake up and smell the coffee when they realize another company is eating
their lunch by using better cheaper software. It wasn't marketing that
woke Detroit up to TQM, it was the Japanese.

><snip>
><sigh>  Oh, what's the use?  Who is John Galt?

He was a guy who'd show up out of the blue and ask you if you wanted to
go off and build something better. Kind of like a lurker I suppose.