[PLUG] Moving Files

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Thu May 29 12:19:02 UTC 2003

I have a directory that I wanted to move, and I used an ash shell (from
the debian CD) to do it, as root.  Evidently this was mistake, because
not all the files were moved, or moved properly (though I've no idea why
not), and now I've two directories that I need to merge.  ash really
blows, by the way.

How should I do this?  If I use mv now, it fails because the directory
exists in the new location.  If I use cp, even with all the flags that
seem appropriate, I get all kinds of errors saying it can't create hard
links between file x and file y.  I don't know why it would want to,
because x and y are different filenames, so I'm really confused here.
rsync would probably do it, but I'm working from a rescue system
(different shell this time) and don't have rsync at my command.

I've experienced this problem before, too, so I'd like to get to the
bottom of it.  How to merge two dir's using a basic shell?  Why ash
couldn't move the whole directory in the first place is incidental.

Thank you,

Jason Van Cleve

P.S.  Did I mention ash sucks?