MySQL vs PostgreSQL formerly --> Re: [PLUG] Storing XML docs in SQL database on Linux?

Ron Braithwaite ron at nutriware.com
Thu May 29 22:51:02 UTC 2003

<62276.66.93.77.251.1054248403.squirrel at webmail.tearitalldown.com>

| Robby,
| Let me respectfully disagree with you on PostgreSQL vs MySQL issues.
| I've worked with both databases and tested them throughfully in our
| engineering environment over two year period.
| Finally our dept. decided to go with MySQL for all our engineering
| applications, data collection and statistical analysis.
| MySQL with InnoDB tables (which are ACID compliant) beats PostgreSQL
| in terms of speed, number of simultaneous connections, security and
| scalability. All these extended features in PostgreSQL as subqueries,
stored
| procedures and such are easily implementable on the API level in Perl.
| To pull data of 1,200.000 rows Mysql spends just about 3.5 seconds,
| PostgreSQL spends over 20 seconds on the same hardware.
| We have no problem with over 250 simultaneous client connections to MySQL
| server and  we had problems with PostgreSQL when number of simultaneous
| connections reached just 80 on the same hardware.
| MySQL takes a full benefit of RAID0, PostgreSQL doesn't have such an
| optimization.
|
| Regards.
| Alex

Thank you for this perspective Alex (and Robby, too). I am at a point in
this project where I must choose between MySQL and PostgreSQL. Up until
this point, MySQL wasn't a contender because it didn't have
transactions. But now it does and, from what you are saying, it is
significantly faster than PostgreSQL.

So a question to you, Alex (and to the assembled masses). The financial
part of my app wants transactions (of course). But the other part of my
app is going to be using some linear algebra equations and I would like
my table to be memory resident. Is this practical with the latest
versions of MySQL?

Also, I haven't done any "real" programming of MySQL yet, but my
intention is to be driving it off a Java servlet. Do you have any ideas
on how it will perform using JDBC?

Thanks,
- -Ron

ps, This group, PLUG, is incredibly helpful - even to those of us who
mostly lurk.

pps, Novell has made a comeback in my book to relevance with how they
have stood up to SCO. I hope ALL of us become familiar with what their
Linux plans are and, when their Linux products are ready, will seriously
consider - and use - them in our designs.