[PLUG] Wireless network card

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sat Nov 1 11:06:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 10:57, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Which reminds me of something I've been meaning to find out about.
> Y'see, I'll be moving to an apartment near or on the PSU campus, and I'm
> hoping I can use the on-campus WiFi for net access for my one computer.
> I could just get a PCI card and an antenna, but are there WAPs that'll act
> in reverse, NATing a wired LAN to a single address on a wireless untrusted
> net, rather than the other way round?

I certainly don't - such a setup would definitely be unique.  My
Wireless Bridging Router has a WAN ethernet port on the back for that.

> Hrm, also need to figure out where all the campus WAPs are so I can choose
> an apartment with good line-of-sight...

If you go searching around PSU's online help pages, you'll find a
diagram of what areas of campus are covered by Pubnet and which aren't.

I'm going to assume you're a student.

I watched some jackass hack in to pubnet a few weeks ago, kicking an
authorized user off in the process.  That's not cool, if you ask me,
especially when you consider how much the authorized user is paying in
tuition.

I really don't think Pubnet is meant to be used as somebody's full-time
Internet connection.  Hopefully you aren't breaking the AUP in the
process.  But, considering how much tuition you are hopefully paying, I
certainly don't see a problem with it.

Rob