[PLUG] Wireless network card

D. Cooper Stevenson cstevens at gencom.us
Sat Nov 1 11:13:02 UTC 2003

Here you go:

  http://www.superpass.com

Here's a strong radio:

  http://www.superpass.com/SP-AP-TE-EX1S.html

Here's a very nice omni:

  http://www.superpass.com/SPDG16OP.html

I note that I don't see the radio sold without the antenna. Ask "John"
to see if he still does that.

Short of that, the prices are reasonable and the radios themselves use
standard N connectors. One can "light up" the entire neighborhood with
these radios attached to a directional panel.

I once performed a wireless installation that was an RF nightmare, metal
shelving with auto parts stacked on them, steel grate floor, etc. I have
to say that these components worked exceptionally a lot better than I
expected. I was able to heat up the entire office (both floors) and the
outside yard area (perhaps .5 acres) with only two radios!

I hope this helps!

Best,

Cooper

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 09:50, Derek Loree wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 12:09, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 22:56, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> > > Note also that you probably do NOT want to put a PCI wireless card into
> > > a typical desktop.
> >
> > Derek Loree wrote:
> > > The PCI wireless cards themselves are fine, its the antennae that they
> > > come with that suck so bad.  At least get a 3 or 4 foot cable with a
> > > desk mount antenna.
> >
> > Good point - but the antennae are a bit harder to find.  Also, note that
> > there will be significant cable losses if you try to go more than a few
> > feet, or aren't using top-quality cable.
>
> True, but some loss is worth it, to get the antenna out from behind the
> metal box.  A larger antenna will make up for the loss, and may even
> increase the gain.  The internet has a lot of sites selling antennae,
> some are better quality others, some a cheaper than others.
> >

> > I found it easier to just perch a WAP on a high shelf, and run ethernet
> > and power up to it.  Antenna placement can be nasty.
> >
> That is why I recommended a desk mount model.
> >
> > Derek Loree wrote:
> > > I haven't tried to build a wireless network with only external WAP's,
> > > how is that done?  Ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) mode?
> >
> > No, regular old managed mode, with the WAP serving DHCP and so forth.
> > I suppose there could be problems with handoff - I only have one WAP,
> > so I haven't worked that out yet.  You will have the same problem with
> > PCI/Linux-box wireless systems;  you will need to make the systems hand
> > off connection information one to another.  It can be done.
> >
> One device does not make a network.  I assume that there will be other
> computers, both mobile and stationary that will need to operate in the
> same subnet.  In my opinion, it will be easier to add PCI cards to the
> stationary computers, and use one of these as the Access Point.
> >
> > Derek Loree wrote:
> > > I've had lots of problems with the off the shelf WAP's, a lot more than
> > > when running a PC based linux firewall/AP with a PCI card.  It is
> > > infinitely more configurable, and much more user friendly to have your
> > > connection inside your box.
> >
> > Sometimes infinite configurability is NOT a feature :-).  But that
> > wouldn't be us, would it?  :-) :-)
> >
> > The problem with most wireless cards is that many do not have Linux
> > drivers, and the manufacturers have a tendency to change chipsets and
> > keep the same model number.  I'd guess that 60% of the hardware on the
> > shelf at Fry's doesn't have Linux drivers.  If you do a LOT of research
> > before buying, you can probably reliably buy a card with a supported
> > chipset.
> >
> > On the other hand, if you get a web-configurable WAP, you may not get
> > all the configurability you would like, and you might not be able to
> > coordinate a mesh of WAPs, but you are almost guaranteed compatability,
> > because web browsers are mostly OS agnostic.  And you can usually find
> [...]
| Cooper Stevenson        | Em:  cooper at gencom.us            |
| General Computer        | Ph:  541.924.9434                |
| "Open For Business"     | Www: http://www.gencom.us        |