[PLUG] Wireless network card

Aaron Burt aaron at speakeasy.org
Sat Nov 1 13:37:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 10:57, Aaron Burt wrote:
[Text bris: PSU's WiFi access]
> > Hrm, also need to figure out where all the campus WAPs are so I can choose
> > an apartment with good line-of-sight...
>
> If you go searching around PSU's online help pages, you'll find a
> diagram of what areas of campus are covered by Pubnet and which aren't.

Already looked.  Couldn't find it, but Google just did.

> I'm going to assume you're a student.

EE, soph (or so) year.  Hard to get on-campus housing otherwise.

> I watched some jackass hack in to pubnet a few weeks ago, kicking an
> authorized user off in the process.  That's not cool, if you ask me,
> especially when you consider how much the authorized user is paying in
> tuition.

Really rude, that, and easy under the old system where you permanently
register a MAC address.  Now you auth each time you connect, which puts
the focus on cracking the password system.  That might not be an
improvement.

> I really don't think Pubnet is meant to be used as somebody's full-time
> Internet connection.  Hopefully you aren't breaking the AUP in the
> process.  But, considering how much tuition you are hopefully paying, I
> certainly don't see a problem with it.

I can't even *find* an AUP for Pubnet.  I figure the only difference is
that I'm using a desktop, not a laptop.  But I'll likely have to host my
li'l shell/web domain elsewhere now.