[PLUG] running a mixed Debian system

Chris Healy galamar at creative-designs-ltd.com
Sat Nov 1 13:38:02 UTC 2003

> From: Felix Lee
>
> Aaron Burt <aaron at speakeasy.org>:
> > And don't focus on Linux to the exclusion of other stuff.  Any dope
can
> > learn to admin a homogenous, unchanging system.  Mixed environments
and
> > integration are where the action's at.
>
> yeah.  I'd add, keep in mind this is all transient technology.
> in five years it will be all different.  learn fundamentals and
> flexibility.

I'd say evolutionary, not transient.

And also need to disagree about things being all that different in 5
years. Looking back over the last 5, or even 10 years, things haven't
changed that much.  The quantum leaps just don't happen.  Even looking
back to the inception of windoze wasn't that shocking as point and
click, menus, and general mouse usage had been in use back in the days
of DOS.

Linux itself has changed even less over the years.  Sure, it's more
stable, more secure, easier to use, and more efficient. Bt when you get
down to it, FTP is still FTP.  Email still works the same as it pretty
much always has (Email is how old?  30+ years?). We still use TCP/IP to
send info back and forth.  Even the web itself had predecessors, WAIS,
and Gopher.

Only the content seems to change. I bet that won't change in the next 5
or even 20 years.

So gain a strong footing now, hold on, and enjoy the ride.  Getting
started is the hardest. Everything else comes in little bits.  Small
improvements here and there, and subtle changes. The rest is easy.

-- Chris Healy