[PLUG] Bookstore pointers

Aaron Burt aaron at speakeasy.org
Mon Nov 3 09:54:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> >A particularly handy website for finding them is http://isbn.nu
>
> Thanks for adding to the list.  Other good bookstore links:
>
> www.addall.com   (searches other lists)
> www.amazon.com   (reviews, ISBN, sometimes even worth buying from)
> www.powells.com  (it's local, sometimes it's on the shelf)

Beware that Powell's keeps a lot of its textbooks in a warehouse in the
Midwest.  I don't know if they'll transfer it to a store for free, like
with the local warehouses.

I use www.campusi.com, but addall.com looks a bit nicer.

ObTopical: You can buy technical books this way, too.

> Perhaps things are different now, but when I was in college, I could
> usually find out from an instructor weeks in advance of posted schedules
> what the text would be.

That's what I did.  They'll often point you to their online syllabus;
check with them to make sure they're not changing textbooks.

> And that meant that I could stay ahead of the curve rather than grimly
> race to catch up.

Now, Keith, you know that's cheating. ;)

A "experience and treachery" B