[PLUG] top posting vs. bottom posting

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Tue Nov 4 00:00:03 UTC 2003

Thus spoke Alice Corbin, on Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:42:35 -0800:

> Which of course immediately brings to mind the quip by Winston
> Churchill:
>
>      "This is the sort of English, up with which I will not put!"

Ah, I was sort of trolling for that one.  I've been trying to remember who said it.  Now I can file it among my favorite quotes.

> Which serves to remind me that (struggling manfully to get back on
> topic) some pendantic rules can be just darned silly.

That is almost my point.  Occasionally, the preposition "rule" is silly and not worth following (and the best writers sometimes break it), but often it makes for better language.  Like bottom posting, it should be considered merely as a guideline or rule of thumb, but not as holy writ.

--Jason V. C.