[PLUG] top posting vs. bottom posting

Russell russell-evans at qwest.net
Tue Nov 4 08:27:02 UTC 2003

On 04 Nov 2003 06:41:54 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz said:

>  Russell> I think this issue is really only in the minds of the people
>  Russell> that make it a point to get upset about it.

>  It just works, and it works better.  I can't see why people would
>  top-post except out of sheer laziness and disrespect for the hundreds
>  of readers that have to wade through it.

I first used email in a corporate environment where top posting was the norm. I
think it was the norm because the application positioned the cursor above the
quoted text. Supposing that your comfort level is what you start with, it would
make sense that those that were on the Internet, or were in a corporation that
used Unix workstations first, would prefer bottom posting.  I tend to think of
the quoted text like an appendix on a book, or maybe footnotes when I was
introduced to this new tool. .

The piratical issue I have with bottom posting is shown in this message  "On 04
Nov 2003 06:41:54 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz said:" is at the top like a
headline. Where is it that my reply starts? Of course, after all those >, but
my 68 year old mother, and 94 year old grandmother find it confusing and
distracting.  So no disrespect intended to the hundreds, just that some people
think differently than you. I hate scrolling, if your eyes where as bad as mine
and you had to use the large font I have to, you probably would hate scrolling
through a bottom post as much as you currently hate wading through a top post.

I claim no hundreds at my back, bad eyes, an old mother, and older grandmother
are all that I can muster. I will not dis you for bottom posting, but I don't
see what "just works and works better".

Thank you
Russell