[PLUG] Contiguous?

Mike Neal miken at hotsushi.com
Tue Nov 4 09:16:02 UTC 2003

Hi,
It is not nearly the problem that exists in Windows.  ext2/3 writes files
with unused space between them so growth in a file is less likely to be
fragmented.  As the space used approaches the capacity of the partition,
fragmentation increases and disk I/O degrades.

Here is one tool:

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/defrag-0.73-5.i386.html

Cheers,
Mike