[PLUG] Re: Contiguous?

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Tue Nov 4 14:40:03 UTC 2003

> From: guy1656 <guy1656 at ados.com>
> So, I'm rebooting, and along the way I see
>
> /dev/hdc1 xx/nnnnnnn files (7.8% non-contiguous) ...
>
> ...and this reminds me an awful lot of 'defrag' in the Windoze world.
>
> Is there a file-manglement tool in KDE or something which will
> re-contigous-ness that drive, and is this a good thing to do from time to
> time?

As was mentioned a tool exists. I must advise against using it though.

e2defrag did the advertised job fine, without problems. Unfortunatly
during defragmentation it packed files closely together, without any
space between them, as a result things got worse quickly. The FS I ran it
on reached about 4-5% fragmentation prior to the use of the tool,
directly after using e2defrag the drive did have 0% fragmentation, within
a month the drive hit 8% fragmentation.

Okay, two important notes. First, the close packing is only a theory, it
matches the symptoms and seems the most likely explaination. Second, this
was a couple years ago so this problem may of been fixed by now.

Until the drive hits 10% fragmentation, I wouldn't do anything.