[PLUG] Redhat changes, fedora

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Nov 4 16:52:01 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 4:30 pm, Fedor Pikus wrote:
> > The problem is that the configuration part is beyond the capabilities of
> > the "average user".
>
> This is true on Linux and on Windows. But it's a great myth that Windows is
> easier to configure. It's only easier if someone else does it for you.

You got that right. The "average Windows user" gets pretty good with apps they
use a lot- word processor, email, spreadsheet, whatver. But they still can't
connect and install devices like scanners and printers, or set up user
accounts (for all the good that does on a winduhs box) or upgrade the OS, or
connect to a network of any kind, or install new software, except malicious
crap like Gator and Comet Cursor, which are irresistible.... Linux is held to
a higher standard. Which is lame and stupid.

The good news it meets higher standards. Just for kicks, grab a copy of
windoze xp, or win 2003, and compare the installation to any Linux. Every
Linux installation I've done over the past couple of years beats the pants
off windows. It's much faster, no more than one reboot, and the hardware
detection is great. I think someone posted earlier about the install windoze-
reboot reboot cha cha cha- install a device driver reboot cha- install
another device driver reboot etc- over and over dance. It's nuts.

--
Carla Schroder