[PLUG] Redhat changes, fedora

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Tue Nov 4 17:39:02 UTC 2003

> On Tuesday 04 November 2003 4:30 pm, Fedor Pikus wrote:
>> > The problem is that the configuration part is beyond the capabilities of
>> > the "average user".
>>
>> This is true on Linux and on Windows. But it's a great myth that Windows is
>> easier to configure. It's only easier if someone else does it for you.
>
> You got that right. The "average Windows user" gets pretty good with apps they
> use a lot- word processor, email, spreadsheet, whatver. But they still can't
> connect and install devices like scanners and printers, or set up user
> accounts (for all the good that does on a winduhs box) or upgrade the OS, or
> connect to a network of any kind, or install new software, except malicious
> crap like Gator and Comet Cursor, which are irresistible.... Linux is held to
> a higher standard. Which is lame and stupid.
>
> The good news it meets higher standards. Just for kicks, grab a copy of
> windoze xp, or win 2003, and compare the installation to any Linux. Every
> Linux installation I've done over the past couple of years beats the pants
> off windows. It's much faster, no more than one reboot, and the hardware
> detection is great. I think someone posted earlier about the install windoze-
> reboot reboot cha cha cha- install a device driver reboot cha- install
> another device driver reboot etc- over and over dance. It's nuts.

You may debate all day about which is better or easier.  I install on all and hardly
have any troubles with either.  I thought Red Hat came a long ways to making me
really enjoy the OS and offer me some tools that I appreciate.  The admin tools
still had a long way to go and the file system location for where binaries get
installed is still perplexing, but the system runs smoothly from install to running.
 (btw, the same for my Win XP boxes I build).    In both cases I've found using
supported hardware makes a HUGE difference.

None the less the biggest thing the leaving of RH does for me, and Linux in general,
is that it takes one of the biggest supportors and public image builders of Linux
out of the public eye.  I have read many articles today about the decision trying to
find out how this will impact my servers that I run.  I have found a few discussions
and have concluded what this means.

1.  This is a great business solution for RH.  They can focus on a solid money
making venture and not have to deal with all the calls that people have about
wanting support for the end-user product. In the long run this will affect MS more
then anyone else.  It perhaps will see one company trying to actually produce a good
Linux solution.  Yes, it cost but Business's want the support and you have to pay
for that.  I hope they do really well.

2. It will remove another Linux from the shelves.  I have no idea how many copies
were even visable to people but seeing copies in the stores always is a good thing
for future sales.  When Linux was starting to get big on the shelves with everyone
putting out a copy I stoped and read as did others.  That is fading fast.

3. It will causes all the geeks to reconsider the Linux version they want to run.
This is a very bad thing.  As it will not help RH in the long run.  They will not
have all the new College kids who have been running RH at home promoting their
products at work.  This has been a great thing for many companies.  Give it away to
the college kids and let them learn it so they promote it.  I hope there is enough
Linux alternative server solutions out there that RH can overcome this lost.

Personally, I will have to re-think my solutions.  I have built some RH server
solutions based on the fact that a company was supporting the product and was happy.
 But paying $179/year or more is not something I find comforting or affordable.
Many people complain about windows costing so much.  But even if I had to pay retail
for XP(I'm lucky I don't), I would buy it once and keep it for years w/o having to
pay again.  Yearly subscriptions to the OS is something I hope I never have to do.

I hope the Fedora project is something I like.  I would hate to see such a huge
change and have to learn again another Linux distribution.  Yes, all are similar,
but there are enough differences that you become annoyed.

Josh