[PLUG] Redhat changes, fedora - rescue?

Fedor Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Tue Nov 4 23:39:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Josh Orchard wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 22:53, Josh Orchard wrote:
> > rescue laptop = spare laptop that can be used for testing stuff.
> > Ready
> > to load whatever OS I happen to need at the moment... it's an old P2
> > 266.
>
> Ah.  I just went to switch boxes for the monitors and don't have the
> time for the OS load.  Good idea though.
I use Vmware for that. The best thing about this solution is that
after I install an OS, I make a copy of the disk, then I can test
configurations or applications and I'm not afraid to fubar the system.

Which reminds me. I was playing with a Win2K virtual machine, checking out
some online games for kids (the kind that runs in your browser). After a
while I noticed that the network icon on the VM is blinking all the time.
I rebooted the VM, it immediately starts to blink again. I check task
list, nothing is running. I ran tcpdump on the host machine to see what
it's doing, and it's talking to port 80 of some host in China of all
places. Needless to say, this was the end of that VM. But all I had to do
to recover was copy about a gig of disk file from the original Win2K VM to
the experimental one.

--
                                  Fedor G. Pikus
Mentor Graphics Corporation         | Phone: (503) 685-4857