[PLUG] Redhat changes, fedora

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Nov 5 10:25:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Josh Orchard wrote:
> I would hope if you really wanted Linux to succeed for the masses then
> you would want it to be on the store shelves.  It has to be widely
> available for that to work.  And not just a download.

I don't understand your problem with downloads.  That's the right way to
distribute information, period: less waste, more portability, infinitely
redistributable, easily mutable.

Sure, not everybody has good bandwidth, but quite frankly, if you don't
have the bandwidth, why run a multi-user networking operating system?  And
how are you going to keep on top of updates?  Or contribute to the support
community?

> btw, I do think that Apple has now chosen to do just this. You can get
> Mac OS X and have what is basically a *nix* with a wonderful UI and
> great tools.  Hmm.

Besides its proprietary elements, I have very few problems with OS X.
Apple sells upgrades in the store, I think, mostly because they have a
legacy audience that expects it.  If you're running OS X, you've already
got a relatively recent computer which you purchased from Apple, so the
shrinkwrapped software is just kind of a value added product that doesn't
have to actually make any money.

> Now why couldn't someone just do that same concept with Linux.  Sure
> seems like it would work well.

Yeah, you know, it sure would!  That's why all those shrinkwrap Linux
companies are making money hand over fist!

The world has moved on, gramps.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin