[PLUG] Redhat changes, fedora

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Wed Nov 5 10:52:01 UTC 2003

> Sure, not everybody has good bandwidth, but quite frankly, if you
> don't
> have the bandwidth, why run a multi-user networking operating system?
> And
> how are you going to keep on top of updates?  Or contribute to the
> support
> community?

Here is where you still believe that everyone should be a programmer.
That they can and want to pay for a high speed connection and want the
computer to be part of their daily lives.  I know so many people who
just want to print a photo and don't even care about the internet.
They get email and occasionally look up some feature.  The 56K
connection for them is perfect.  Now how do you expect them to
download the OS of the furture and write code to make it better.

They want a tool, not a job.

>> Now why couldn't someone just do that same concept with Linux.  Sure
>> seems like it would work well.
>
> Yeah, you know, it sure would!  That's why all those shrinkwrap Linux
> companies are making money hand over fist!

Not one single company has even come close to creating an easy to use
interface like Apple or MS.  They have not choosen to put the effort
into doing such.  Why?  Who knows.  Maybe because Linux truely can't
be an end user product and they all know it.  I don't know.  I think
it can, but it sure lacks too many features to achieve that.

What it needs is a company that will promote it and create an easy to
use product.  Heck, they could even do something like Apple.
Manufacture the hardware and build the systems.  They could then build
deals with all the CAD companies to port the software and take over
the entire CAD Workstation world from all the Unix boxes.  btw, MS has
been doing just this for the last few years and they will soon take
over the big SUN/HP workstations.  Why didn't Linux think of taking
over some of these.

There are so many ways this can be done and make a company lots of
money.  The market for low end affordable CAD systems is huge.  Or
cheap desktop system.  I do know a company that is making dumb
terminals from linux that then connect to a central Win2K Terminal
Server.

> The world has moved on, gramps.

Gramps?  Hehe.  Now that is funny.   I think you need to open your
mind to what is out there and consider that the old(not me) have about
10 Trillion dollars to spend.  A recent study believes they have saved
that much.

Josh