[PLUG] Winders Security Software Recommendations

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Nov 6 02:24:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 01:05, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 00:44, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> >for all I know, XP comes with a firewall.
>
> Oops- forgot this point. XP DOES have a firewall.

You also forgot that it is turned OFF by default.

> I can't trust it though. It's like putting the fox in charge of the hen
> house, if you get my drift. ZoneAlarm will block all of the MS "stuff"
> that they want to pass down the pipe, the XP firewall doesn't seem to
> see the MS internal traffic...

The best use for ZoneAlarm is for the stuff going out.  It catches all
sorts of programs that try and phone home.  One of the easiest ways to
spot spyware.

I also recommend AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy.  Both will help
you track spyware/adware/backdoors.  They both seem to miss some things,
but the two together gets just about everything in that field.

         alan at clueserver.org - alan at ctrl-alt-del.com

    "...new-fangled and artificial treasons have been the great
    engines by which violent factions, the natural offspring of
    free government, have usually wreaked their alternate
    malignity on each other...."
                  - James Madison in The Federalist No. 43,