[PLUG] Linux and >137G IDE Drives

Chris Jantzen chris-plug at maybe.net
Thu Nov 6 23:18:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:06:28PM -0800, Robert Kopp wrote:
> Does Linux suffer from the same limitation? If so,

(I had a bit in here about how I boot my 240GB volume just fine. But
then I realized it's probably because of the RAID controller's BIOS.
Nonetheless, Linux doesn't have limitations -- your BIOS may.)

> does it have its own drivers? If not, can the drive be

Need more details on the chipset of the add-in card. I've used off-board
HPT and CMD controllers in the past without much hassle. Just have to be
sure you get all the drive lettering straight ahead of time. :-) Early
on many of the chipsets either had no support in Linux or had serious
hardware bugs. These days everything is pretty much a non-issue.

(Side note: The only tricky bit these days is the pseudo-RAID ATA
controllers that are shipping more and more with popular mainboards.
Either don't use the board's RAID [Linux's md is usually faster anyways],
or be very careful about which drivers work in the kernel or don't.
Why is this an issue? These controllers aren't really RAID. They
facilitate the OS booting and then pretty much leave all the legwork to
Windows drivers.)

--
chris jantzen kb7rnl =->         __O
Insert witty comment here.     _`\<,_