[PLUG] Linux and >137G IDE Drives

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 10:04:12 UTC 2003

--- Fedor Pikus <fedorp at wv.mentorg.com> wrote:

> If your motherboard is recent enough, you don't need
> the new card, i
> so try it first. If your motherboard IDE controller
> supports UDMA/100,
> it'll almost certainly handle large disks, and if it
> supports UDMA/66
> the odds are good it will too

I should contact HP and get this information, although
I hear that they can be bozos.

> The card is most likely supported by Linux out of
> the box, it'll probably
> be recognized by the same IDE module, if you have a
> recent 2.4 kernel.
> I tried the cards which come with Maxtor and WD
> drives, they all work.

I currently use 2.4.18-14, fairly recent. And it's a
WD drive.

> no problem. But if you want to go external, you can
> get an enclosure
> which converts IDE to USB2 or Firewire. They are
> about $60 at Fry's or you can
> get them from the net for half of that (newegg sells
> USB enclosure for
> $30 now).

I currently have a FireWire enclosure, and have had no
trouble using the 20GB disk now in it with Linux. I
don't know whether it has large disk support. If it
doesn't, it might be worth the trouble to get one that
does. There are many ways to use large amounts of
storage which, fortunately, is getting cheaper all the
time.

Is there a comprehensive listing of supported hardware
anywhere? I imagine that not all labs for the
distributions test the same components.(I guess I
should contact HP first, but whether they'll respond
immediately or with the necessary information, I don't know.)

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."--Frederick Nietzsche