[PLUG] Novell and Linux

John Telford john at johntelford.com
Fri Nov 7 12:30:03 UTC 2003

My take on Novell/SuSE/Linux/IBM/etc... is every once in awhile
something happens that may alter the course of the Information
Technology industry.  I'm going out on a limb and saying I think this is
such an event.

The Linux kernel and distributions have come a long ways on the road of
maturity in the last couple of years.  Many of the behemoths in the
industry, except Microsoft, are betting big bucks on the technology.

At the same time, it looks like choices Microsoft seems to have made
early on about security and reliability are now coming home to roost.
During Microsoft's most recent conference call, Chief Financial Officer
John Connors said earnings are already being hampered by corporate
buyers who are holding back on purchases because of security fears.

The Novell services stack is mature.  Running it on Linux offers
Corporate America a way to begin weaning themselves from Microsoft.
Starting with eDirectroy and then possible NetMail are big wins.  As the
Linux desktop matures, there may be more incentive for Corporate America
to get out from under Microsoft's thumb.

The confluence of these events is what I think is altering the course of
the Information Technology industry.

Fortunately, this time around trying to re-invent its self, Novell has
bought Linux and Open Source expertise and products.  It's up to Novell
to make it work.

....John
John Telford - Owner - JohnTelford.com LLC
503-292-6865 - fax: 503-292-3094
Email: john at johntelford.com
Web: http://www.johntelford.com  Weblog: http://ITnews.johntelford.com
Email: john at johntelford.com