[PLUG] rsync

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Fri Nov 7 16:17:02 UTC 2003

Rich Shepard said:
>   This weekend I want to copy all user files from my current
> workstation to
> the new workstation, and I know that rsync is the way to go. I've
> not used rsync before.
>
>   Is the man page the only (or best) resource for learning the
> intricacies
> of this tool, or is there a more comprehensive document I should
> read first? I do know that for many tools, the man page is a great
> resource for syntax and reminders of specifics when you know what
> you seek but it's a poor resource for learning.

I've found the magic phrase (for me) is:

$ rsync -avP -e ssh user at source:/stuff /stuff

or to go the other way:

$ rsync -avP -e ssh /stuff user at destination:/stuff

-a is archive mode and does a lot of stuff, check the man page. -v is
verbose. -P is --partial and --progress, meaning it will won't delete
partially transmitted files if interrupted and it gives you a purty
progress bar. -e ssh uses ssh as the remote shell; good for obvious
reasons. This covers 95% of all my non-anonymous rsyncing needs. If
ou're feeling gunshy, use --dryrun to see what you _would_ do.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District