[PLUG] Spam

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Nov 8 17:28:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Russ Johnson wrote:
> OK, for the last two weeks, I have diligently reported my spam to
> spamcop.net.
[snip]
> It seems my problem is getting worse, not better.
[snip]
> Is this typical?

I've heard lots of folks with this complaint (i.e., spam rising quite a
bit once they start reporting to a centralized authority).

My spam load has been pretty steady for about the last six months (before
which it did jump dramatically, all at once).  Certainly no change in the
past few days.

I would say I also get 50 or 60 spam messages per day.  I reject no mail
at connection time and I would say unsolicited commercial/scam mail
accounts for about 30-50% of my daily message count.

I use spamassassin and it catches all but maybe one message every other
day and is yet to catch a message that I wanted to read.

Personally, I think all that business of blocking and reporting is a waste
of time and energy and just makes the problem worse, but you know that.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net