[PLUG] Spam

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Nov 8 19:54:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Russ Johnson wrote:
> On Saturday 08 November 2003 05:28 pm, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > Personally, I think all that business of blocking and reporting is a
> > waste of time and energy and just makes the problem worse, but you
> > know that.
>
> Wasn't it you that said something about not reporting it to be passively
> condoning it?

I don't recall.

If I did, it was a LONG time ago and I hadn't given the situation serious
thought.

I can see how a person might think that on first blush, but any real
consideration of the mechanics and circumstances immediately reveals that
anti-spam action outside the recipients' mail system counteracts the
network's ability to make us more free, individually and collectively.

I certainly wouldn't EVER condone reporting to a self-appointed authority
like spamcop.net which uses bullying to shut down other people's
connections on other people's networks.  Very ugly.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net