[PLUG] rsync

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Nov 10 14:16:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Steven" == Steven Raymond <stever at woo-hoo.com> writes:

Steven> Anyway, can someone please clarify-

Steven> 1) Can SCP (which I use all the time) do the same/similar to
Steven> rsync via ssh example above?  I presume the advantage of rsync
Steven> would be that rsync is smart about only copying the changes?

Yes.  The larger the file, the bigger the advantage of rsync.

Steven> 2) How does this vary from the dd utility?  When would it be
Steven> better to use dd?

The dd program is a dumb block copier.  Read the paper on rsync for an
explanation of how it works.

  <http://rsync.samba.org/tech_report/>

Steven> 3) Have been thinking about a tape backup, but would it
Steven> instead be a bad idea to just rsync the important directories
Steven> from each host, to every other host in some sort of mesh (with
Steven> one target hosts offsite)?  Then occasionally save the really
Steven> important stuff on a CDR in case of flood?

Rsync and related backup methods are a good idea.  Stay tuned for an
"advanced topics" presentation of the topic in December.  I'd just say
here that for many people CDR is wholly inadequate for this purpose
just on a capacity basis.

seniorr at aracnet.com