[PLUG] rsync

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Nov 10 16:47:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Russell Senior wrote:
> Jeme> I'm looking forward to it... if only I had enough money for a
> Jeme> nice firewire card, enclosure, and a couple of extra
> Jeme> drives... [...]
>
> Strictly speaking, you don't need that stuff, though it certainly can be
> useful for particular applications.

Of course, hard drive backups seem pretty safe and fairly sturdy and the
cost per gibibyte (heh) is insanely low.  I didn't like hard disk backups
before because of the constant spin and the lack of inexpensive hotswap,
but the external enclosures mean you only need to power up the drive when
you're doing the backup/restore.

Oooh, perhaps one could put a firewire enclosure in a UPS that is serially
controlled (USB or otherwise) so you could actually power up the enclosure
and do the save/restore all automatically.

Neat.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin