[PLUG] Enclousures and power (Batteries)

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Nov 11 09:47:13 UTC 2003

* Michael C. Robinson <michael at robinson-west.com> [2003-11-11 00:56]:
> I've heard that concrete kills lead acid batteries.
> I don't know why though.

Ask any auto-mechanic or battery manufacturer. A battery sitting on a
concrete, or dirt floor will discharge. To properly store a battery,
place it on a piece of wood. I've stored batteries for months this way,
and that's what the battery rep I used to buy from told me.

> Keeping a battery cold such as in a refrigerator is good,

In storage, I'm not so sure. I do know that a cold battery loses it's
ability to deliver amps.

Ever wonder why most batteries fail in the fall? That's when the
tempurature drops. There are two things working against you at that
point. The battery isn't able to produce as much "push" (amps) and the
engine requires more, since it's colder.

> Something builds up in lead
> acid batteries over time, but there's a treatment using
> some acid like boric or something that can bring these
> batteries back to life.

Are you talking about sulfates, or corrosion? Sulfates occur when a
battery is idle for long periods of time. You see this most frequently
on Motorcycles and ATVs. Any equipment that sits idle. The battery
manufactures also sell lots of motorcycle/atv batteries in the spring.
There are "treatments" you can purchase for this, but they are mostly
stop gap measures that just prolong the problem.

Corrosion is that white stuff you see. It's mostly a nuisance. Easily
cleaned up with a little baking soda.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #13 (Collect all 22)
"I'm not smart enough to lie." - Ronald Reagan